Monday 10 June 2013

Quicksilver - Son of M #1




This was my first cover for Marvel. The concept for the cover was by David Hine, the writer of the Son of M series. I used a model for Quicksilver who was younger than he's supposed to be in the comics because adding white hair to anyone in their late 20's makes them look a heck of a lot older. The background is from a photo I took in New York from the back of a car. I was over there to sign a lot of lithos for Dynamic Forces (Now Dynamite Entertainment) and Nick Barrucci was kind enough to let me spend a day visiting DC and Marvel...so anyway, I took a fair few photos that I've used in pieces of art ever since.

The collection of people whizzing past in the background (the idea is to show that Quicksilver has gone from the fastest man about to having the world pass him by, he's lost all purpose and his powers. He's slow!) are friends who just happened to be around at the time. The bike is mine. I kept the painting pretty loose on the Quicksilver figure as he was basically homeless at this point. I took ref shots all over the place. As long as the light source is from basically the same direction then it's ok...


No comments:

Post a Comment