Sunday 26 October 2014

CAPTAIN AMERICA COVER:UNUSED MARVEL COVER #3

Here's a World War 2 piece. I've always enjoyed painting Captain America with his uniform battle damaged. I wanted a bleak image so I toned down or muted the colours to a certain degree and I tried to keep the piece loose as well, get a sense of movement in there...
I may have failed with the movement. It turned out to be a pretty patriotic image...


After chatting a little about my favourite version of Spidey in a recent post I may as well throw a few thoughts down about my favourite Captain America artists. I really like Alex Schomburg's Cap. His covers in the Golden Age were everything that Captain America should be, drawn at a time when Cap was at his peak, his most relevant, during World War 2. I'd also throw Syd Shores in there as well...I actually think Norman Rockwell would have been the ideal artist for Captain America, or JC Leyendecker, I'd have loved to have seen their depiction of him...imagine a series of Saturday Evening Post covers by Rockwell, some showing Cap with the troops, some showing Steve Rogers' life in the army. 

Of the post thaw Cap, I do like the Bryan Hitch version, but that may be down to the writing more than anything. I really enjoyed the Millar/Hitch Ultimates...I think they did the man out of time thing in a realistic manner...






No comments:

Post a Comment